The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Chutney, oh ya!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

GRILLED CHEESE AND CHUTNEY SANDWICH  
Take two thick slices of good quality bread, spread one slice with mango chutney, grate cheese over it, cover with the other slice and grill in a ridged griddle pan until cheese is melted.

I like it when instructions for a meal can be given in one sentence.


Grilled cheese sandwiches are always good snacks. But of course, good bread is absolutely necessary. The loaf is Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Sandwich Bread. I was looking for a way to use up about half a tub of sour cream that already had one foot in the side of no-good, but it returned to the light with its role in this bread. My only regret is that I didn't have enough sour cream to make a full loaf and had to settle for a smaller one. I polished the loaf off in just two days.

A perfect combination of tastes 
I used Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese but I think a light Cheddar would have been a better complement. You want the chutney to be the star of the show, not have something else fight it for the spotlight.

Happy uncle on the chutney label
Mr NoTime got the chutney for me. Not because he knew I would like them, mind you. He was out running some errands and an elderly gentleman stopped him in front of one of the shops to show him his homemade chutney. The gentleman had a sweet, friendly face and looked not unlike the "Uncle Vince" on the label, and Mr NoTime was reeled in quite easily. The chutney, notwithstanding the grammatical mistakes and incorrect use of punctuation in the tagline, "We didn't say it's Great! People Did.", really does live up to its claims on the jar. It's sweet-sour, salty, hot and with the right type and balance of spices. Dee-lee-cious!

I haven't seen Uncle Vince's chutney in the shops. Mr NoTime had better be on the lookout.

1 comment:

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!