The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Sourdough Surprise: Butterscotch plantain pancakes

Friday, September 20, 2013

BUTTERSCOTCH PLANTAIN SOURDOUGH PANCAKES 
I am not kidding when I say the plantain was as long as my arm – there it is in the picture below. It's called pisang tanduk or horn banana in Malay for good reason.
I wanted to make a curry or plaintain chips and you need still green bananas for that, which this one isn't. So I ended up making fritters.
My mother got the banana at the farmer's market. The thing is,I didn't just have one banana, not even two. My mother got three and each one weighed about 400g! Needless to say, I had to find a few more uses for the giant bananas beyond fritters.
So pancakes it was since Sourdough Surprises suggested pancakes and waffles with unusual flavours for this month. (I wish I had a waffle maker because I would have liked to try the plantain in waffles instead.) To give it a boost, I was inspired by Dan Lepard's recipe for a butterscotch banana cake in his book, Short and Sweet, and cooked the banana in a sugar syrup before adding to the pancake batter. I used condensed milk instead.
What a stack! Pour on tres leches and dig in. 
I'm happy with how these pancakes turned out. I ate them with a three-milk mixture (tres leches; from an upcoming recipe) of condensed, evaporated and coconut milks.
After seeing what the Sourdough Surprises group came up with, I really need to get a waffle maker!




10 comments:

  1. Oh my god. These sound INSANELY delicious! And I have never seen a plantain that big. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you....I need a waffle maker too:) Your pancakes love delicious, love the flavor combination! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's a long plantain! I never thought of adding plantain to pancakes. But it makes sense since we use bananas all the time. I'll have to make plantain fritters soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound very yummy! I've never had plantain. Are you posting the recipe for us to try?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting flavor! Does a plantain taste anything like a banana? I've never had one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had plantain, sounds interesting...
    very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had plaintain either. I had no idea they could be so huge! Your pancakes sounds so good too - especially drizzled with that tres leche syrup. That would definitely get me up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! What a great combination and that plantain is huge! Your pancakes sound sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! These pancakes not only look amazing but they sound amazing, too! What a great combination of flavors! Awesome job!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!