The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Sourdough Surprises: Granola bars

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Granola bars are the challenge this month for the Sourdough Surprises baking group. I've made mine with homemade granola that's based on "Aunt Melissa's Recipe" from the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (the recipe can be found online at the authors' site). My tweaks: coconut oil, black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dates and crystallised ginger. This is really good tasting granola.

So I was surprised that the bars didn't taste all that great the day I made them. I used 100g of starter and simply added a spoonful of agave nectar and enough granola for the mixture to hold its shape without being too stiff. But the next day... the taste was so much better. This seems to be the case with all my baked goods made with sourdough starter. Odd. You feed your starter and let it mature through the months and years, and yet it still takes a day to develop in flavour. Huh. You just gotta love it...

Have a look at all the other other granola bars in the group.


5 comments:

  1. Coconut & ginger - mmm - I can't believe they didn't taste great warm out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your customizations on these - the flavors and textures sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bars look delicious! I'll have to check out Aunt Melissa's homemade granola. Coconut & ginger. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, crystallized ginger. I had planned to use that in mine as well, but my husband managed to eat it all, unbeknownst to me. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am all about the crystallized ginger. I need to get some soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!