The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Sourdough Surprises: Rolls (Garlic Knots)

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Does this look like fried chicken to you? I took this to the office for a colleague's farewell tea and more than one person said they thought it was fried chicken. Huh?

They're garlic knots. I admit they're a lit-t-tle big for a snack but they make good-sized rolls for dinner. They're for this month's Sourdough Surprises.

Anyway, they're made with the 1:2:3 sourdough formula ~ one part leaven to two parts water to three parts flour by weight. It's easy to remember and always produces a good loaf. For these knots, the amounts were: 92g refreshed and very active leaven (at 80% hydration), 184g water, 276g all-purpose flour and a teaspoon of salt (which should be weighed so that it is around 4%, but I winged it this time).

Lately, I've been making cooking videos for work and made this one which I can probably use when I write about bread in the future ~ although before I put it up on YouTube, I will have to edit in new bread knots that don't look like fried chicken!


The dough is bulked proofed in a square container so that when it is transferred to the work surface, I don't have to fiddle around with the shape too much (I learnt this from Paul Hollywood's recipe for ciabatta and watching the latest series/season of The Great British Bakeoff). Using a pizza cutter, I divide the dough into 11 strips (the last one was runty!), tie them in knots and bake them for around 25 minutes. I didn't let them get crusty or too brown on top or they wouldn't soak up the garlic-parsley dressing.



4 comments:

  1. Still chuckling over the "fried chicken" comment. Your garlic knots sound temptingly delicious and I appreciate the reminder of the 1:2:3 formula along with the square container hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use a square container for retarded rising because it fits snugly in the fridge, but it never occurred to me about the shape being easier to deal with! D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rolls definitely don't look like fried chicken. Thanks for the tip about the square container and for sharing your cooking video. Garlic knots are on my list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried chicken? That's beyond strange. Those knots look delicious and thanks for the square container tip. Going to have to remember that for my next batch.

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!