The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Daring Bakers: Mousse in an Edible Container

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

PALM SYRUP MOUSSE IN A NUT CUP
The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favourite from April 27 to May 27 at thedaringkitchen.com!

Bacon cups were part of this challenge (for the original recipe and instructions, please go to this pdf) and I really wanted to try those at first. But after hunting for maple syrup – which was strongly recommended for its distinctive flavour – at three shops and not finding even a small bottle of it (all the shops had maple-flavoured syrup), I changed my edible containers to the nut variation (using almond nibs) that was given in the challenge. 

The thing is, I decided to make a mousse flavoured with palm syrup, and I have a feeling that it would have worked just as well with the bacon. Never mind, next time.

Palm sugar
So yes, the mousse is flavoured with palm syrup, which I made by cooking down a mixture of shaved palm sugar and water (the same volume of each) until reduced by half so that there was a thick syrup. The palm sugar I use is from the coconut palm, and like maple syrup, has a taste all its own.

I know I didn't put as much effort into this challenge as some of the other Daring Bakers – you must check out their creations at the Daring Kitchen (this challenge is also a competition, so if you can, vote for the one you like) – but I didn't want to sit it out. The palm sugar, however, inspired me to come up with some dishes that incorporate it and I will writing on that in my regular post on Monday. One of them is coconut dulce de leche. It is now my favourite spread/frosting/flavouring.

3 comments:

  1. I was planning on making the nut bowl but didnt have enough time..looking forward to the
    coconut dulce de leche

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mousse is a gorgeous caramel colour - I have never heard of palm syrup, but I am sure that I could be friends with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut sounds like a great substitute for maple syrup which is difficult to find here...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!