The Oven has baked its last loaf. This blog is no longer being updated.

My cooking videos appear at youtube.com/janeragavan

I write on food at star2.com

Morning mix

Monday, March 7, 2011

HOMEMADE GRANOLA 
Last week was crazy. Being away on assignment for a week, then coming back to catch up on work and on top of that falling ill, I really didn't get much done. Luckily, I managed to write my story for the March issue of "Don't Call Me Chef" and make my breakfast dish (story out today in print; here's the link).


I eat granola for breakfast quite often, either with milk or strained (Greek) yoghurt with a little berry jam. It's nice to make your own because you get to put whatever you like in it and leave out what you don't. I like adding flaxseed to the mix because it's healthy; commercial granola hardly ever has it. I often use almonds, but since I only had peanuts this time, I put those in instead. It's a really flexible recipe and easily scaled up.

HOMEMADE GRANOLA
Makes 4 cups

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup flaxseeds
½ cup peanuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup honey
¾ cup sunflower or canola oil
1 cup dried fruit (apricots, dates, glacé pineapple), chopped
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine oats, coconut, seeds, almonds and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir the honey and oil in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes until melted and combined. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
  • Spread the mixture on a greased baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool ­­– it will be a solid mass.
  • Once cooled completely, break up into clusters and mix in dried fruit. Store in an air-tight jar for up to 4 weeks at room temperature.
Granola parfait: Layers of granola, yoghurt and fruit 
Here are links to some of my other posts which feature dishes that make good breakfasts:
Any Morning Cinnamon Rolls
Bamboo Charcoal Braid
Banana Mochaccino
Cheese on Toast ala Harold Pinter
Easy Orange Marmalade
Julia Child's Egg Project: Four ways to cook eggs
Multi-grain Bread
Nutty Cinnamon Sticky Buns
Strained Yoghurt
Poppy Seed Bread Rolls
Potstickers with Chicken
Vegetable Mung Bean Griddle Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your views are welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day!